Saturday 8 March 2014

About Me, Elliot and Haemophilia

My name is Toni I am 26 years old and on September 2nd 2013 at 12 mins to midnight, my life changed forever!

I gave birth to Elliot Henry Smith..... 9lb of gorgeous baby boy, I remember everything about the 26 hours of labour- from going in Sunday morning to be induced (he did not want to come out) to the very end (or should I say the beginning?) with Helen the most awesome midwife ever lifting Squirt up and saying "look at what you've got" and placing him on my chest.
Matty kept saying " He's brilliant toe" wiping a tear away, and my mum was blinding us with the camera flash.



This blog is about Haemophillia and my lovely little monster Elliot, Elliot is now 6 months 3 weeks and growing bigger every day (Godzilla of the baby world), he has started Roooaaarr-ing literally.

Love & Worry

You can suck in all the old new crazy annoying sometimes helpful advice, and buy all the baby equipment paint the nursery clean the house, but nothing prepared me for the immense feeling of love and more.. worry, I worry about everything anyway, let alone about the small dependent bundle especially when we have not done any of this before.

Little Bleeder

As you can probably tell, everything was going perfectly for the first two days of Elliot's life, but things changed on the Thursday when the midwife came with her assistant to check on us and do a heel prick (to check that baby does not have any disorders) when the midwife left, we noticed that Elliot had bled quite a bit through the plaster (from the heel prick site) I did a bit of pressure and new plaster and again it carried on bleeding, Matty phoned the midwife and we went to the children's ward where we proceeded to have Elliot poked and stabbed and tested, this was all very upsetting.

We were told that Elliot had an infection, jaundice and we still awaited results about the bleeding, after two days on the children's ward, a special consultant came in our room and exclaimed that he had found the cause of the bleeding which was a bleeding disorder called Haemophilia.

Never heard of it

I don't have Haemophilia and it is not in any of my family history so it was a bit of a shock I learnt that it is usually passed from mothers to sons and is a big hereditary thing, but after me getting tested they found that Elliot is even more special then we thought as he has spontaneously mutated and is Severe Haemophillia Type A.

Sounds scary, I always said I would not wrap my baby up in cotton wool but upon hearing the news first thoughts are I need to not let him get injured protect protect protect, blood is gonna come gushing out, and I might bruise him when I pick him up or change his nappy AAaarrgghhh ........

Touch wood and fingers crossed all the info and help we received made me treat him like I would of anyway, and all has been pretty good so far, Elliot has been rolling over for the past month and I have a feeling things are just about to get interesting....

 

2 comments:

  1. Elliot's Nana writes...
    Elliot's arrivals was all a glow
    But there was something we did not know
    Only on th planet for two days
    When his bleed we could not phase
    We told the docs and so the looked
    Into heamophillia written in books
    A secret disorder that you cant see
    To keep him safe as he can be
    Elliot is our hero and yet he does not know
    What he has to do when he is on the go
    But its ok cause we love him so
    Our little hero all a glow

    ReplyDelete